cPanel Tutorial: Installing WordPress
There are many blogging platforms to choose from, but WordPress is one of the most popular and often considered the best. Bloggers flock to WordPress because it is easy to use, search engine friendly and inexpensive. In fact, this platform is free when signing up for an account at wordpress.com and typically included at no additional cost when purchasing a web hosting plan.
This tutorial will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to install WordPress from the cPanel control panel.
1.) From the cPanel interface, locate and click on the icon the reads “Fantastico” or “Fantastico Deluxe”.
2.) On the Fantastico main page, find the “Blogs” category and click “WordPress”.
3.) Next, you will be provided with a short description on the WordPress application. Underneath the description, find and click on the “New installation link”.
4.) From there, you will be prompted to complete the following installation steps:
5.) Admin User – Enter the desired username you want to use as the WordPress administrator
6.) Admin Pass – Enter the password you want to use as the WordPress administrator
7.) Email – Enter the email address that will be used for contact information
8.) Installation URL – Choose the domain you want to install the WordPress application on from the drop-down box. The directory WordPress will be installed on is set by default. You have the option of changing to another directory based on your personal preference.
9.) Table Prefix – This entry is used when Fantastico automatically creates a MySQL database. You can leave the Table Prefix set to default or change it based on your personal preference.
10.) MySQL DB – This entry allows you to create new a MySQL database specific to the WordPress installation or select an existing database. Choose the option from the provided drop-down box.
11.) Click on the “Install” tab. You will then see a statement that reads: “Done! You can access your new add-on at yourdomain.com/yourdirectory”. After successfully installing WordPress, Fantastico will let you know how many installations you have.
Managing the WordPress Installation
Once you install WordPress on your web hosting account, Fantastico will display the version you have installed. To manage the installation, follow the steps below:
1. To the right of the installation URL you will find a “Rearrange” link. By clicking on this link, you can copy or move the installation to another directory or domain.
2. To copy or move the installation, choose the domain you want WordPress installed on from the provided drop-down box. The directory WordPress will be installed on is set by default. You have the option of changing to another directory based on your personal preference.
3. Click on the “Move” or “Copy” button
4. Next, click the “Perform Move/Copy” button
After installing WordPress on your web hosting account, the software can be uninstalled at anytime. Simply follow the instructions below to uninstall WordPress:
1. Choose the WordPress installation you want to remove from the drop-down box.
2. Click the “Uninstall” button to complete the uninstallation.
The entire process of installing and uninstalling WordPress is a simple process that can be completed in a matter of minutes.